Saturday, August 6, 2005

Montana Women For

Montana women continue to amaze me. Livingston is a small town, but there is a sizable group of women here who are concerned enough about social and political issues to start a group called 'Montana Women For'. For 'what' you ask? Well...fill in the blank. For peace, social justice, reproductive freedom, gay marriage, more funding for education, environmental responsibility, affordable health care, etc, etc. Many of these women have never considered themselves political activists but are now concerned enough with the current far-right political climate that they want to speak out for change.



For the local Independence Day parade, these fabulous gals donned blue gowns and statue-of-liberty hats and walked in the parade to raise consciousness about the issues. They were well received and someone even noticed later that, in one of the local cowboy bars, several of the men were wearing the peace buttons that were handed out during the parade.

Dang - I wish I had been here in time to participate with my friends. I just emailed Margie to ask her to put me on the email newsletter list for Montana Women For. I am now officially a resident of Montana and am registered to vote here, so I want to be kept up to date - especially on the local issues.

~~ Daughter and mother join the parade ~~