Saturday, August 6, 2005

Cassandra

My dear friend, Cassandra, is one of the core reasons for me spending so much time in Montana. Originally, we were friends in the Napa Valley in California where she owned 'The Diner', a popular restaurant in Yountville that offered fabulous food to locals and tourists for 25 years.



Cassandra is very community oriented and was also the founder of the Napa Valley Women's Network, a group that gathered together for social and recreational activities and at times political activism. I also met Judy through NVWN when she was invited to perform there (more about Judy later). They both came to Montana for an extended visit after Judy's mom died and ended up getting rooted here in Big Timber where Judy grew up.

Cassandra built 'The Studio' behind Judy's house (where I am now staying) and lived in it until the house next door went up for sale. Real estate here is a steal compared to California, and Cassandra now owns half the block plus a building downtown that she has renovated. She recently opened 'The North 40' there - a coffeehouse/cafe offering (what else) delicious food and a cozy place for locals to meet and hang out with friends.


As usual, Cassandra has become a pillar in the community, getting involved in several outreach programs and forming a wide and wonderful group of friends. She and Ivanie also started the annual 'Woman Spirit' retreat at a camp on the Boulder River.

When I first hit the road three years ago, I looked up Cassandra and Judy, having been out of touch for several years. I have since fallen in love with Montana and, because Cassandra has introduced me to so many of the wonderful people living in this part of the state, I have also developed a circle of fine friends here.