Sunday, July 17, 2005

Mormon Crickets

These crickets are enormous... fat, reddish-black and about 3 inches long. I took Hwy 278 from Eureka to Carlin, NV and there were tens of thousands on some stretches of the road - sometimes literally a few inches of squished or scurrying critters covering the road. They stink when smashed, and my wheel wells are now coated with cricket guts - totally gross.

Filled my tank at Flying J truck stop in Wells, NV, which earned me credits towards a shower at the next gas-up, then headed up Hwy 93 to Idaho. Took Hwy 20 at Idaho Falls, then 87 to 287 and into Montana. It was a long day of driving because I wanted to wake up Sunday in Montana. I pulled in at dusk to a 'Fishing Access' spot along the Madison River about 35 miles south of Ennis, MT.

I love sleeping in the upper bunk of my rig. My bed is cozy with a wool fleece mattress pad, flannel sheets and a down comforter. It was windy and cool at the river and I zipped open the window in front of my face so I could feel the breeze coming in through the screen. I dozed off listening to the sound of the river, comfy in my nest and feeling the wind blowing over my face and through my hair...paradise.