Saturday, November 5, 2005

Fly Away Awning

When I was in Baja, the winds would predictably arrive sometime during the day so I always had my awning securely staked down. I also had a rope thrown over the top of the awning and tied down for extra protection. Sometimes strong winds would flatten my screen room, but the awning always withstood the assault.

While here at Pio Pico I've had the awning rolled out, but hadn't staked it down because there have only been occasional mild breezes... until today. While I was inside fixing something to eat, a sudden gust flipped the awning up vertical against the raised pop top. A couple of neighbors heard my universal distress cry of "Oh shit!" and came running over. Two of the three support screws had been ripped out so they held the awning up while I unfastened the remaining support bolt. Fortunately the awning itself wasn't damaged and I was able to roll it back up until I can get it re-attached to my rig.