Sunday, October 30, 2005

Off The Road For Awhile

My camping style of choice is boondocking, preferably where there are few people and interesting wildlife. After fulltiming for over three years, I discovered that occasionally I just want to hole up somewhere and plug in, do my laundry, access the internet, etc. Since I no longer have a home, I decided to buy a Thousand Trails membership on eBay.

This has really worked out well, especially when I'm back in California to visit family and friends around the holidays. The parks are often only about 20-30% full off season, so I'm able to enjoy a quiet respite. Pio Pico is a TTN park SE of San Diego near the town of Jamul. Before heading for the park, I stopped in town to get a few groceries and check out the post office where I'm having mail forwarded.

I always try to find a site on the perimeter of the park, and far away from the activity center. I chose a big site with oak trees at the base of the hills and near a gate leading to the dirt road that winds through the canyon and out into the hills. This will be home base for the next two weeks. It's close enough to San Diego to be able to run in to Trader Joe's, go to the car wash, and do some banking.