Monday, July 4, 2005

South Dakota Badlands

Last October I passed through the Badlands while heading to Montana en route from seeing Maggie in Michigan. The Badlands here and especially in ND are beautiful, exuding an aura of mystery and lending a sense of traveling back in time.
I stayed in a remote campground where bison roamed nearby and coyotes yipped at night. Unfortunately, I didn’t get pictures of the Bighorn sheep the next day. There was one ram and about 20 ewes and lambs crossing a back-road to descend into a canyon. It was interesting to watch the ram guiding the group, making sure all made it safely without lagging or straying. I love observing wildlife and I get a lot of use out of my binoculars. Even when I’m up close, the binoculars provide a greater sense of intimacy and awe.