Monday, July 4, 2005

Anza Borrego Spectacle!

I spent all of March 2005 in Anza Borrego desert in southern CA and it was glorious! The bloom was spectacular – I felt like I was Alice in Wonderland after falling down the rabbit hole. I went on fabulous hikes and sometimes just wandered out in the desert soaking up the beauty. The mountains and flatlands were green and colorful with the ground covers, cacti and bushes in bloom.


Carpet of color along Henderson Road


~~~ Beavertail begins the bloom ~~~

Friends came down for a few days and we enjoyed hiking the Hell Hole Canyon Ridge Trail that transitioned through varied terrain and vegetation as we descended 2,500 feet over six miles. This is one of the most beautiful hikes in the park. Two weeks later I met new friends Sheryl and Dan from Colorado, who also have a rig like mine, and I repeated this wonderful hike with them.

I love traveling in my compact 4x4 Sportsmobile since I can drive out rough roads or into canyons to find lovely places to camp with few people around. Jack rabbits and cottontails scampered through camp just feet from where I sat quietly reading during the day. At night I would sometimes sit outside in the darkness and enjoy the starry skies and the serenading coyotes.

~~~ Sunset near Coyote Canyon ~~~