Monday, August 7, 2006

Age Has Its Benefits

Today is my 62nd birthday and it's the first time in decades that I haven't minded getting older. Today's birthday qualifies me for 3 new benefits:

1. I start collecting Social Security
2. I'm eligible for a Golden Age Passport - $10 for a lifetime pass = free admission to the National Parks and 1/2 price camping at many FS campgrounds. This was a gift from my camping buddies, Holly and Rosemary. I hopped on my bike and rode down to the Forest Service office to make my special purchase.
3. Montana fishing license is only $8 for MT residents age 62 and over.

Mom and Dad left a phone message singing 'Happy Birthday' to me off-key (It's a family custom to sing the HB song off-key.)

Dear friends - Goode and Cassie - each called to wish me HB. These friendships date back to the late 60's when we were nurses together at San Francisco General. I haven't seen either of them for years and we vowed to get together when I'm back in the Bay Area around the holidays.

Cassandra and Val planned a dinner for me and also invited our friends, Rosemary and Holly. It was a Great Day!