Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Sportsmobile Rally 2006

Our base camp is at beautiful Molas Lake and there are 100 rigs and about 200 people participating. Fat City Catering out of Moab, UT is providing meals again, but unfortunately Roger is retiring and this is his last gig catering for the rallies.

Lined up at Molas Lake before the trail rides

This year I'm riding with Holly and Rosemary instead of driving my own van on the trails. Some of the drop-offs on these rough, narrow roads are nerve-wracking for the passenger who has to look at the 1,000 foot drop just a couple of feet away from the tires.

Rosemary gets dizzy and nauseated from this kind of scene, so I'm navigating for Holly. I did these trails when I first started traveling in my Sportsmobile, so it's great to be able to enjoy the scenery this time.

A group returning from the Cinnamon Pass tour

Beautiful wildflowers near Cinnamon Pass

Some of the terrain on the Alpine Loop reminded me of the Arctic. A sign indicated that the tundra here is similar to that found in the Arctic. It made me feel nostalgic for my Alaska trip last month.